Doncaster Equine College was launched in 2017 to provide Horse Care and Horse Management courses to young people in South Yorkshire.
Based at the Northern Racing College in Doncaster, we offer practical courses for you to develop your skills so you can kick-start your career in the wider equine industries such as dressage, eventing, show jumping and much more.
Level 1 Horse Care
The Doncaster Equine College Level 1 Horse Care course is designed to provide you with the skills and vocational qualification so that you can work in the equine industries.
No Experience with horses or academic qualifications required
Riding and non-riding options available
- Feeding and watering of horses
- Cleaning the stables and yard
- Putting on and removing tack
- Cleaning tack and horse clothes
- Putting on and removing rugs
- Leading and controlling a horse for inspection
- Catching and moving horses
- Maintaining health and safety in the workplace
- Maintaining good working relations with others
- Riding (optional)
Level 2 Horse Care
The Doncaster Equine College Level 2 Horse Care course is suitable for those who have achieved Level 1 in Horse Care or have relevant industry experience. The course is designed to provide you with the skills and a vocational qualification so that you can work in the equine industries.
- Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Land Based Industries
- Carry Out and Understand the Principles of Feeding and Watering Horses
- Undertake Routine Stable Duties
- Undertake Horse Handling
- Fit and maintain Horse Tack and Clothing
- Understand the Principles of Horse Biology
- Introduction to Riding Horses on the Flat (riding option)
- Environmental and Land Based Business (non-riding option)
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (if GCSE’s haven’t been passed)
In addition to these units you will attend regular tutorials. You will also complete a riding certificate (if relevant)
Level 3 Horse Management
The Doncaster Equine College Level 3 Horse Management course is suitable for those who have achieved Level 2 in Horse Care or have relevant industry experience. The Course is designed to provide you with the skills and a vocational qualification so that you can work within the equine industry.
- Understand and Promote Animal Health
- Select, Fit and Evaluate Horse Tack and Equipment
- Plan and Monitor Animal Feeding
- Prepare Horses for Presentation
- Undertake Stable and Yard Management
- Understand Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Understand the Principles of Equitation
- Business Management in the Land-based sector
- Contribute to Managing an Equine Event
- Riding Horses on the Flat (Riding Option)
- Specialist Care (Non-Riding Option)
- Training young horses from the ground and introducing them to equipment (Non-Riding Option)
This 2 year course is delivered one day each week during term time only. Enrolment is ongoing throughout the academic year, the course costs £500 per term (usually 3 terms per year). Bursaries are available to some learners from the local area.
- Attendance once weekly during term time is required for a learner to achieve a Level 1 Diploma.
- The course is open to complete beginners, all learners need is a desire to work with horses.
- Every group of learners will be supervised by a qualified instructor/assessor.
- Learners must bring a skull cap matching one of the following kite mark standards: PAS015 / BSEN1384 / BSEN14572 / ASTMF1163
- Learners must provide their own Jodhpurs and riding boots
- The college will provide body protectors and other essential personal protective equipment.
- The college has an on-site and online shop selling all the equipment you require for the course.
3rd July – 2pm Start
2nd August – 2pm Start
22nd August – 2pm Start
Events – Doncaster Equine College Annual Show
VIEW CURRENT COURSES