More than 80 years ago, Dodson & Horrell began developing and producing the best possible agricultural feed on the market. We wanted to make the finest product money could buy and we set out to be the most trusted supplier.
The end goal is the same. To ensure every equine, canine, small animal, and pet-life we are entrusted to support, gets the best possible combination and balance of nutrients and supplements to fuel performance and live healthier lives.
Dodson & Horrell are looking for a passionate individual to join us to develop the business across thoroughbred and performance equine trade for D&H; in particular racing yards, stud farms, equestrian yards and specialised merchants, delivering product portfolio growth by increasing distribution, growing market share and increasing profitability year on year.
This is a temporary 12-18 month fixed term role to cover maternity leave.
This is a field based role covering the Midlands region & some some support in the North region.
- Develop an annual plan on how the business will grow with specified areas including by product, by merchant, by yard, year on year, including setting and agreeing sales targets and to ensure those targets are achieved. Targets will include volume, contribution, revenue, no. of customers ordering and customer retention (direct and indirect).
- Ensure all enquiries and quotations are followed up promptly and pursued to a conclusion.
- Report progress on a weekly and monthly basis in terms of meeting objectives, progress and performance volume, profit and sales mix targets, plus attending and participating fully in monthly sales meetings and reviews as necessary using company tools i.e. Sales-I.
- Develop and maintain good customer relationships at all times, including building and enhancing D&H’s reputation and positioning as the premium manufacturer and brand of choice for all the leading yards and studs.
- Team GBR: support work as necessary and as advised.
- Set clear objectives for every customer visit with a view to increasing business or growing profitability.
- Assist in the formulation of a sales strategy, input into new product development and enhancing current formulations and recipes to maximise profitability and reputation.
- Develop and market any R&D projects/services and/or concept sales stories the company has to customers. Guidance on product development from a principle point of view/in field requirements.
- Recommend the appointment of new customers on both a direct and indirect basis.
- Promote the D&H range of products in line with the company image.
- Plan and implement agreed promotions strategies within the specified area in line with budget.
- Promote the range of products as shows, and with customers where and when necessary as agreed with the Directors.
- In house training and support of sales team, help line and others as required.
- Obtain reliable information regarding competitors and keep the Directors informed.
- Ensure that work is carried out in the best interest of the company and its customers.
- Maintain the company vehicle in a manner laid down by the company.
- Submit all company expense claims in line with departmental procedure.
- Perform & liaise with other management as necessary in the performance of his duties as and when required.
- Build a customer record management system and database using Sales-i, capturing contact details, supplier, competitors etc.
- Ensure the company Health & Safety Policy is always adhered
- Strong communications skills, ability to interface confidently internally and externally, at all levels is a prerequisite.
- Presentation skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Category/brand knowledge across all segments.
- Extensive travel required – ability to develop effective journey plans is essential.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload.
- Delivery of great customer service.
- Demonstrate flexibility, reliability and enthusiasm for the role
- Take full accountability for all decisions and how they impact the company.
- Strong analytical and interpretation skills across market and account statistics.
Degree in Animal Nutrition/Animal Science/Equine Studies to BSc level, desirable but not essential.
Several years of field experience in the Thoroughbred industry would be beneficial but not essential.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter explaining your suitability to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please state Equine Careers when applying for this vacancy.
VIEW CURRENT VACANCIES